Universidad de Concepción, Concepción, Chile
Instituto de Geología Económica Aplicada (GEA)
Junior Academic Position in Mineralogy/Geology
The GEA Institute invites applications for a new full-time junior academic staff position in Mineralogy/Geology. The Institute focusses on applied research and specialized teaching to the mining and minerals industry (www.institutogea.cl). The main current research lines are in geometallurgy and exploration geology. As the world’s largest copper-producing country, Chile is interested in the long-term sustainability of metal mining. The GEA Institute works closely with the mining industry on mineral and mineral chemistry related subjects in exploration, ore processing and concomitant environmental implications. The Institute is seeking a staff member to conduct research and teaching in the broad field of Andean mineralogy and/or metallogeny. The position requires joining a multidisciplinary academic group to develop undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in collaboration with various faculties of the university (www.udec.cl), as well as basic and applied research and outreach activities. Because most undergraduate teaching is offered in Spanish, fluency in this language will be considered an advantage.
Skills and Experience
- PhD/Doctorate in geology (mineralogy or petrology).
- Postdoctoral experience is desirable
- Experience in techniques of mineralogical characterization (optical microscopy, SEM, EPMA, automated mineralogy, XRD)
- Availability from September 2019, but flexibility exists with respect to starting date.
Candidates should submit the following documents by March 29th, 2019:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of PhD or doctoral degree
- Initial outline of research and teaching ideas as contribution to economic geology
- Motivation letter explaining reasons for applying
- Two letters of reference addressed to the Director of the GEA Institute, Dr. Ursula Kelm
An academic presentation, personal and psychological profile interviews will be required for final shortlisted applicants.
For additional information contact: Dr. Ursula Kelm, firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be sent to:
Dirección de Personal (indicating Code GEA01)
Universidad de Concepción